24/7 Emergency Water Damage Restoration Services • Free Visual Inspection For Property Owners (725) 241-4786

Call Today! (725) 241-4786
Call Today! (725) 241-4786
Henderson LogoLogo
Call Today! (725) 241-4786
Call Today! (725) 241-4786
Henderson Logo

Risks of Fire Damage from Common Household Items

Published by Allegra on October 28, 2021 in category: Uncategorized

If you want to ensure you and your family are protected from fire hazards911Restoration risk-of-fire-damage-in-henderson Henderson in your house at all times, then you should do thorough assessments of your house once or twice a year. However, before you proceed, it will be highly beneficial for you to gain some knowledge about potential fire-fueling hazards present in your home.

You will surely be shocked to find that several hidden fire dangers could harm your family anytime by spreading fire or smoke within a few minutes.

Most people are unaware that any substance with an ignition point below 90 degrees Fahrenheit has a high chance of catching fire. In addition to that, below is the list of items found in your house that can cause fire accidents if you don’t take care properly:


It will be hard for you to believe, but flour is a potential fire-fueling item if exposed to a fire nearby. Hence, do not place flour near the fire stove and take extra caution when you’re using it near an open flame.

Make-up or Beauty Products

Everyone has make-up or beauty products in their homes. These products often contain flammable ingredients. Especially the hair products like hair spray, mousse, etc., contain ingredients that can ignite a fire.

Nail polish and acetone-base nail polish removers are also highly flammable beauty products. Acetone is dangerous because it produces vapors that can attract nearby fire even if it is not exposed to one. This can cause bigger flames and are more hazardous than other products. Therefore, always keep nail polish or nail polish removers where there is no chance of you igniting a fire for any purpose.

Moreover, there are various paraffin-based skin ointments or creams that are highly flammable. Every year, many accidents are reported where the victim’s clothes caught fire because a skin cream is soaked on their clothes. This is why it is important for people who smoke cigarettes to ignite the fire away from their clothes. Cigarette lighters can easily set fire to the clothes, especially if there is cream or oil residue on them.

Laundry Detergents

Another commonly used product at home that’s also a fire hazard is laundry detergent. Besides detergents, fabric softeners, pods, stain removers, bleach, etc., are also used in the laundry. These products should be kept away from places with an exposed flame or electrical circuits.

Cooking Oil

One of the most used kitchen items is cooking oil. Cooking oil is used multiple times in the kitchen, and if left unattended, it could lead to fire accidents.

Always ensure you never leave your food unattended while cooking. Any oil spills or leakages should be cleaned up immediately. Note that cooking oil spillage is not just a fire hazard; it can cause slipping accidents too.

Hand Sanitizer

Hand sanitizers contain alcohol; hence they are highly flammable. Hand sanitizers should never be placed near a fire source as they can easily catch a flame.

You should also avoid being near a fire if hand sanitizer is on your hands, as an excessive amount of sanitizer can put you at a greater risk. It is better to becautious when dealing with such flammable substances.

Engine Oil and Vehicle Products

If you own a vehicle or multiple vehicles, you must keep oils, lubricants, and other products used for their maintenance. These products are used to keep your automobiles well-maintained. Nonetheless, you should know how to properly use them because they have highly flammable constituents in them.


Food items such as snacks that most people eat in their homes, especially kids and teens, are potential fire hazards. Cheese puffs, potato, corn chips, popcorns, or other wheat or fiber products can easily catch fire.

Can you guess a fruit that is also susceptible to fire? Most people do not know that oranges can catch fire because they have a chemical known as limonene. All citrus fruits contain this chemical compound and are inclined to catch fire. Just ensure that you are not near a fire when while eating or squeezing any citrus fruit.

Plastic Containers

Plastics containers are made out of flammable material called petroleum. We use plastic containers for many purposes in the house.

Just ensure that these containers are not placed near a fire source, or they will immediately ablaze.

In addition to this, plastic containers are highly susceptible to heat. Therefore, avoid placing them in direct sunlight or in areas where the temperature is high.

Pool Cleaning Products

If you have a pool in your house, you must have some pool cleaning products lying around somewhere.

Pool cleaning chemicals are highly susceptible to catching fire near any naked flame or fire source. The best way to ensure your family’s safety is to always keep pool cleaning products in a dry storage unit that is out of reach of children or pets.

Moreover, it is also advised that you hire professional cleaning companies to clean your pool as any wrong step could lead to an accident.

Call 911 Restoration of Henderson to Fire-Proof Your House

If you are looking for a reliable home restoration company that can fire-proof your house, then  911 Restoration of Henderson is ideal for you.

Get in touch with the experts at 911 Restoration of Henderson for a complete inspection of your house. These expert professionals can perform a thorough assessment of your house and ensure all potential fire hazards are completely taken care of.

Visit their website for more information and queries.

ecofriendly company
Call us today with any questions or concerns! (725) 241-4786
639 Camp Hill Road. Henderson NV 89015
*Property Owners Only. Restrictions Apply

Disclaimer: Our services are generally outside the scope of a licensed contractor. As such, we are not licensed by the Nevada State Contractor’s Board. We follow state and local laws diligently.